Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Rhett's Years of Being Baby Hungry

I knew before I started dating Rhett that he was baby hungry, as mentioned in the previous post. I really admired this quality about him because he had fatherhood as such a high priority, I knew he would be a great dad. In fact, the girls in our group of friends called him "Daddy Rhett" for that reason. But once we started dating and got engaged, while I still loved this about Rhett, the fact that I would be the one to make him "Daddy Rhett" made me kind of nervous because I was getting married at 19 and that was a surprise from my life plan. I never imagined I would be in a position to be a teen wife let alone a teen mom.
But he was sensitive to my not wanting a honeymoon baby, even though for Rhett kids could not come soon enough. [a coworker recommended switching my birth control with candy, and when he told me, the idea wasn't very funny to me] Anyway, he went on a trip to Italy right before our wedding. He had planned it over a year earlier, and so he was gone for three weeks. I missed him terribly. He did bring me lots of gifts and at the end the gift spree he turned away and looked over his shoulder and said: "Now don't freak out." He flipped around and here was his prized souvenir...a baby bib. It was one of those moments when I wasn't sure if I should laugh or not. But he had a huge smile on his face so rather than busting up at the proposition, I thanked him and said..."not for a while."

So 3 years later, and 2 years later than we had hoped, we can get the bib out of the box in anticipation of getting some use out of it. And best of all, "Daddy Rhett" can soon bear the official title.

0 comments: