We had our first appt. yesterday and after all the normal history, dos, don'ts, we had our first ultrasound. I am about 5 1/2 weeks along and she said there's no way a heart beat would be able to be seen even if it were there, because it is so small, but 4 or 5 days, and we will be able to. So I have another ultrasound next Thurs, a week from today so then we should absolutely see a heartbeat if everything is going alright.
From this initial ultrasound we know the blastula attached in a good position in the uterus, the chorion sac is the appropriate size, the yolk is forming and I have thick endometrium. So everything looks good and consistent for my gestation so far. 

This isn't our baby, just an example from the internet
of what our ultrasound looked like. Mainly just the sac.
It was kind of relieving to see I have a developing embryo, and to know I'm not having twins and that everything is good and normal so far. But part of me is still anxious waiting for next week and the dreaded anticipation. Naturally we'll be reassured when we finally see a heart beat and I'm grateful our OB is good about investigating early to calm our fears rather than putting us off. In the end, whether we know or not doesn't matter. If I'm going to miscarry there's nothing we can do to prevent it, but I am grateful the doc is actively trying to calm our anxiety early on as we go rather than sitting like a time bomb, which is how we'll be anyway.
0 comments:
Post a Comment